This salad is a nod to one that my Grandma made every summer when we would visit. Hers was laden with spaghetti noodles, which my kids cannot eat due to the wheat flour and their Celiac Disease.
So, I improvised with my favorite gluten free noodle replacement, Cabbage! Cheap, filling, and easy to work with! My kind of veggie! Because we have a toddler I did chop the cabbage small this time, and it’s a veggie side worth eating on any hot summer day.
- 1 Large Head Shredded Cabbage
- 2 Cups Chopped, fresh Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Chopped, Fresh Broccoli
- 1 Cup Chopped Carrots
- 1 Can Olives, Black or Green, Chopped
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1/2 Tablespoon Oregano, we like to buy our spices from here.
- 1 Tablespoon Garlic
- 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 teaspoons Mineral Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Chop or shred cabbage and add to a very large bowl
- Chop all other veggies, and add to the bowl
- Add all other ingredients and seasonings and mix very well
- The flavor will improve the longer it sits, and it would be best to make it the night before or at least 4 hours before you want to serve it.
*This side is an S on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, and would go very well with Chicken or Steak.