My very first job was in an Old-Fashioned Soda shop. I worked there for 4 years, and I knew the recipes like the back of my hand.
One that I did not make very often, but had to explain to customers a lot, was the “New York Egg Cream.” My short description was always, “A fizzy chocolate milk.”
I was looking for a way to use some seltzer that was open in my fridge, but I wanted a flavor other than plain water, and the idea that maybe I could make this sugar-laden drink from my first job into something healthy and delicious came into my mind.
I also wanted to make it dairy free and a fuel pull on the Trim Healthy Mama plan, because I’m extra like that!
- 1/2 Cup Unflavored Seltzer Water
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Nut Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Unsweetened Cocoa or Cacao Powder
- 2 teaspoons Gelatin
- 1 teaspoon Collagen (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon Sunflower Lecithin
- 1/8th teaspoon Monk Fruit Extract Powder
- Add all ingredients, except seltzer, to a blender.
- Blend well. Taste and adjust sweetener because you won’t be able to stir much once you add the seltzer.
- In a large glass, there will be foam so get a bigger one than you think you need, pour the contents of the blender.
- Add your seltzer slowly, and lightly mix the contents together with a spoon. Enjoy!