I grew up in a town with a couple Chinese restaurants, and it was not uncommon for people to have strong feelings about which place served better food.
The owner of the restaurant that was my family’s favorite was named “Charlie” and this sweet and sour chicken recipe is as close to the flavors of his as I could get and still be on the Trim Healthy Plan.
Sweet and Sour in all the right ways, with twist of fresh veggies…that was always my favorite part at Charlie’s restaurant!
If you buy anything through the links below, I may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you, which helps me continue to provide free content on my blog.
- 3 Cups water
- 1-2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Pineapple, drained, if it’s big chunks cut it smaller.
- 1-2 teaspoons Mineral Salt, we get ours from here or here
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Braggs Liquid Aminos, we get ours from here or here
- 1 teaspoon pineapple extract
- 3/4-1 Teaspoon Pure Monk Fruit Extract Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Citric Acid
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons Xanthan Gum
- 2 raw cucumbers, roughly chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2-2lbs Chicken Breasts, diced and precooked
- 3 Cups Brown Rice, Precooked. We get ours from here or here.
Pre-cook the chicken if you haven’t already, and remove from the pan. Mix all your wet ingredients together, and whisk in the pan until smooth and free of lumps. Turn the heat on, and add your dry ingredients, with Xanthan gum being whisked fully to avoid lumps in the sweet and sour sauce.
Heat the sauce until it thickens enough to coat the back of your spoon, then add your chicken, pineapple and veggies. Heat only until heated through.
***If you leave out the pineapple pieces this will be a fuel pull compatible meal. as written, there are not enough carbs for a good E so please serve with cooked brown rice or quinoa to fit into the Trim Healthy Plan***