As a mom to many, easy meals are essential to my success in the kitchen.
While chili is regaled as an easy meal, thanks mainly to the ability to buy commercially canned beans and tomato products, when you cook all your beans from dry as we do it brings a certain level of planning into the mix that many do not want to hassle with.
But, for those with a large family or who really like cooking beans on their own, here is my recipe that keeps it super simple, sister!
- 1 1/2 pounds dry Large Red Kidney Beans, cooked. We like ordering beans and spices from here.
- 2-28 Ounce cans Crushed tomatoes
- 1-28 ounce can water
- 1/4 Cup Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoons Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika Powder
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Mineral Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Soak and Cook the Kidney beans, you will need to plan at least 8 hours in advance for this
- Place the seasonings in with the cooked beans (not before or it will be too soupy and the salt can inhibit the beans cooking well), and begin heating.
- Add the tomato products and water.
- Cover and heat until boiling, simmer at least 20 minutes.
This is a recipe for 14-16 people, because my kids eat at least two bowls a piece of this soup every time we make it.
One serving of it falls into an E setting on the Trim Healthy Mama plan. Because my kids are still growing, I add a pat of butter to each of their bowls to make it a crossover meal.
Thank you so much for stopping by!
If you want to learn more about the products we use, what I do as a Trim Healthy Mama Certified Lifestyle Coach, or a great cabbage salad recipe you have come to the right place.
Leave a Reply